Nature, Flora and Fauna Discovery of Costa Rica
This is an immersive hands-on learning experience with the Costa Rican forest as your classroom.
- 3 Nights Eco-lodge stay with a focus on biological research hands-on work shops
- Hike through untouched primary and secondary forests, rivers, waterfalls and swimming holes
- Visit coffee plantations
- Paddle down a Rainforest River in White Water Rafts
- Take some time to relax at the Baldi Hot Springs Resort
- Surf Lessons with professional instructors
- Arenal Volcano Hike
- Arenal Waterfall
- Zip Line Activity
- Guided Tour of Manuel Antonio National Park
- See local wildlife, such as sloths and monkeys, iguanas and toucans!
- Take a cruise on a catamaran and enjoy time to snorkel in Costa Rican waters
- Beach time
Community Service and Cultural Interaction:
- Tree planting in the Rainforest
- Play soccer with local kids
- Learn how to cook Costa Rican meals in a responsible way by using a methane bio-digester, rocket stove, cob oven and solar cookers
- Work on community service activities at a school
- Visit a traditional market in Costa Rica
- Learn how to Salsa dance
- Learn basic Spanish
Immaculate rainforests, warm rivers, white-sand beaches, and a Pura Vida (“pure life”) lifestyle that is unmatched throughout the world. We work with some of the most progressive eco-lodges, remote communities, and authentic Costa Rican attractions.
If you are looking for a Costa Rica experience that is more than just bus tours and tourist traps, let Evolve Tours show you what the country is truly all about.
Student trip itineraries are completely customizable for your group, desires, and needs.
Day 1 - Travel to San Jose, Costa Rica
Meet as a group and travel to Costa Rica. Arrive at Juan Santamaría International Airport in San Jose, Costa Rica. In the evening we will eat a delicious dinner after a long day of travel and get some rest in our hotel in San Jose.
Day 2 - Arenal Zip lines and Hot springs
Depart early this morning to make our way to the world famous town of La Fortuna. In the morning we will head to a Zip Line activity, which has over 20 sections. As we zip through the rainforest, take in gorgeous views of the Arenal Volcano that can be seen from over-top of the trees. After lunch we will travel to the Baldi Hot Springs Resort and have an opportunity to relax and soak up the day. Return to the hotel for dinner as a group.
Day 3 - Arenal Volcano Hike and Waterfall
Breakfast as a group at the hotel. Today we will participate in a hike around the base of the Arenal Volcano. Within the national park, short trails will take us through both secondary forest and lava fields from previous eruptions. See plenty of wildlife along the way, including: deer, tapir, howler monkeys, white-faced monkeys and snakes, or birds like parrots, orioles and brown magpies. Later this afternoon we will make our way over to the famed La Fortuna Waterfall.
Days 4 - 6 - Biological Research and Education
This morning we will make our way to our eco-lodge project paradise hidden away in the Costa Rican forest. Our focus for the next three days will be on the local rainforest and tropical ecology. Over the coming days, participate in an assortment of activities, such as:
• Soil types and soil identification in the rainforest
• The effects of climate change on our forests (carbon dioxide and climate, difference between weather and climate, measuring carbon in trees)
• The bats of Costa Rica
• Measuring trees’ height and diameter
• The carbon cycle
On site Lectures & Lessons:
• Tropical biodiversity and predation
• Rainforest tree succession (understory vs. canopy, rainforest stratification) Rainforest mammals
• Birds of the region
• The forest ecosystems
• Learn how to cook Costa Rican meals in a responsible way by using a methane bio digester, rocket stove, cob oven and solar cookers
• Participate in a natural building workshop, designing and building structures to minimize the impact on our environment and maximizes sustainability
• Swim in the on-site waterfall
• Service project to aid and better the local community
• Soccer game with local kids
• Tree planting or agroforestry project
Day 7 - White Water Rafting/ Pacific Coast Stay
Today we will wake up early and head out on a full day white water rafting adventure on the Savegre River! The Savegre is one of the best rivers for rafting in the world. Before we begin, paddling, safety and other on-river skills and instructions will be taught. We will need to work as a team to manoeuvre rapids. Along the way we’ll take a side hike to layered waterfalls and discover which one makes the best shower!
Tonight we will stay in a quaint town on the Pacific Ocean just outside of the tourist hubs and famous for it’s surf breaks.
Day 8 - Manuel Antonio National Park, Wildlife
This morning we will head towards Manuel Antonio National Park where we will participate in a guided hike of this beautiful oasis. Be fortunate enough to see families of Monkeys and Sloths that live within the park’s pristine eco-system. For the afternoon we will enjoy some relaxed beach time.
Day 9 - Surf Lesson and Snorkel Excursion
In the morning we will head straight to the beach for our private surfing lessons. We will spend some time learning the techniques of surfing with certified/experienced instructors on the beach before we head into the water for lessons. Our afternoon will be spent on board a boat tour where we will have the opportunity to snorkel, swim, and perhaps see dolphins at play– with licensed tour boat operator for Costa Rica. Upon returning from our afternoon adventure, we will head to dinner at a hillside restaurant. On a clear day we will see one of the most unbelievable sunsets.
Day 10 - Homeward Bound
Wake up nice and early, enjoy breakfast and say our goodbyes. Board your flight home, eager to see family and friends after an amazing trip to Costa Rica together!
AirfareRoundtrip group airfare to San Jose, Costa Rica
BusPrivate coach bus as needed for duration of tour
Eco LodgeEvolve works with eco-lodges which promote sustainable living practices
HotelsCentrally located, student friendly, 3 * minimum, acclaimed hotels
Three meals a day. Locally produced, organic, and delicious local cuisine while at the Eco Lodges.
Costa Rica is ranked #1 in the Happy Planet Index