Nature, Flora and Fauna Discovery of Costa Rica
- Hike to see Mountain views, primary and secondary forests, river, waterfalls, swimming holes, wildlife, and two stream crossings
- Visit coffee plantations
- Paddle down a Rainforest River in White Water Rafts
- Take some time to relax at the Baldi Hot Springs Resort
- Participate in Surf lessons with professional instructors
- Take in breathtaking views of the Costa Rican wilderness, including a volcano
- Participate in a Zip Line Activity
- Guided boat tour of Manuel Antonio National Park
- See local wildlife, such as sloths and monkeys!
- Take a cruise on a catamaran and enjoy time to snorkel in Costa Rican waters
- Beach time
Community Service and Cultural Interaction:
- Tree planting in the Rainforest
- Play soccer with local kids
- Learn how to cook Costa Rican meals in a responsible way by using a methane bio-digester, rocket stove, cob oven and solar cookers
- Work with goats, hens, ducks and fish
- Work on a Soccer Field and Trail Maintenance Project
- Work on community service activities at a school
- Visit a traditional market in Costa Rica
- Learn how to Salsa dance
- Learn basic Spanish
Immaculate rainforests, warm rivers, white-sand beaches, and a Pura Vida (“pure life”) lifestyle that is unmatched throughout the world. We work with some of the most progressive eco-lodges, remote communities, and authentic Costa Rican attractions.
If you are looking for a Costa Rica experience that is more than just bus tours and tourist traps, let Evolve Tours show you what the country is truly all about.
Student trip itineraries are completely customizable for your group, desires, and needs.
Day 1 - Travel to San Jose, Costa Rica
Fly to San Jose, Costa Rica! Pick up your luggage and meet your Evolve Tours guide. Our private bus will transfer us from the airport to our hotel. We will have a snack upon arrival and then head to bed following an exhausting day in order to energize ourselves for the week ahead.
Days 2 - 4 - Biological Research and Education
Ranch tour and orientation. Focus on the local rainforest and tropical ecology to prepare us for days ahead. The eco lodge is an ideal setting to study and learn about biology, ecology, and human-environmental relations in a real and beautiful setting.
Over the coming days, participate in an assortment of activities, such as:
- Soil types and soil identification in the rainforest
- The effects of climate change on our forests (carbon dioxide and climate, difference between weather and climate, measuring carbon in trees)
- The bats of Costa Rica
- Measuring trees’ height and diameter
- The carbon cycle
- … And more
On site Lectures & Lessons:
- Tropical biodiversity and predation
- Rainforest tree succession (understory vs. canopy, rainforest stratification) and rainforest trees in danger of extinction
- Rainforest mammals
- Birds of the region
- The forest ecosystems
- Learn how to cook Costa Rican meals in a responsible way by using a methane biodigester, rocket stove, cob oven and solar cookers
- Participate in a natural building workshop, designing and building structures to minimize the impact on our environment and maximizes sustainability
- Swim in the on-site waterfall
- Service project to aid and better the local community
- Soccer game against local kids
- Work with goats, hens, ducks and fish on animal husbandry
- Tree planting or agroforestry project
Day 5 - White Water Rafting & Salsa Lessons
Say goodbye to eco-lodge and head towards the coast. Enjoy breakfast at the Ranch and check out. Transfer to the Savegre River for our white water rafting adventure! Before we begin, paddling, safety, and other on-river skills and instructions will be taught. We will need to work as a team to maneuver rapids. We will take a side hike to layered waterfalls and discover which one makes the best shower! Our rafts will travel down river until we reach the coast. Next, enjoy a catered lunch together. We will then transfer back to a beach town where we will check-in to our new accommodation. Enjoy some free time before coming together as a group for dinner. In the evening, after dinner, we will learn how to Salsa dance.
Day 6 - Surfing Lesson, Whale Watching Tour, & Snorkeling
Enjoy breakfast at the hotel. In the morning we will head straight to the beach for our private surfing lessons. We will spend some time learning the techniques of surfing (with certified/experienced instructors) on the beach before we head into the water for lessons. Afterwards we will make our way to town where we will eat lunch as a group and relax. The surfing classes will eb taking place. In the afternoon, we will get on board a boat tour of Whale Tail National Park; snorkel, swim, and perhaps see dolphins at play– with licensed tour boat operator for Costa Rica.
Upon returning from our afternoon adventure, we will head to dinner at a hillside restaurant. On a clear day we will see one of the most unbelievable sunsets.
Day 7 - Manuel Antonio National Park, Wildlife, & Hermosa Beach
Breakfast as a group at the hotel. Head towards Quepos and visit Manuel Antonio National Park.
Arrive and participate in a guided hike of this beautiful oasis. Be fortunate enough to see families of Monkeys and Sloths that live within the park’s pristine eco-system. Break for lunch.
There are various attractions or small excursions which we can stop at on our way to Hermosa Beach such as coffee plantations, the crocodile bridge lookout point, incredible waterfalls, or other points of interest. Dinner at a Soda en route to our night’s accommodation. Check in to our accommodation for the night and rest after another action-packed day.
Day 8 - Zip-lining & Baldi Hot Springs
Eat breakfast as a group. In the morning we will head to a Zip Line activity, which has over 20 sections. As we zip through the rainforest, take in gorgeous views of the Volcano that can be seen from over-top of the trees. Desafio Adventure: behind the Catholic church, La Fortuna, San Carlos. Break for lunch. After lunch we will travel to the Baldi Hot Springs Resort and have an opportunity to relax and soak up the day. Return to the hotel for dinner as a group.
Day 9 - Arenal Volcano, Hiking, & Wildlife
Breakfast as a group at the hotel. On this day we will participate in a hike near the Arenal Volcano. Within the national park, short trails will take us through both secondary forest and lava fields from previous eruptions. See plenty of wildlife along the way, including: deer, tapir, howler monkeys, white-faced monkeys and snakes, or birds like parrots, orioles and brown magpies. In the evening, transfer back to San Jose and check into accommodations.
Day 10 - Homeward Bound
Wake up nice and early, enjoy breakfast and say our goodbyes. Board your flight home, eager to see family and friends after an amazing trip to Costa Rica together!
AirfareRoundtrip group airfare to San Jose, Costa Rica
BusPrivate coach bus as needed for duration of tour
Eco LodgeEvolve works with eco-lodges which promote sustainable living practices
HotelsCentrally located, student friendly, 3 * minimum, acclaimed hotels
Three meals a day. Locally produced, organic, and delicious local cuisine while at the Eco Lodges.
Costa Rica is ranked #1 in the Happy Planet Index