New Zealand is an outstanding country. Encompassing a collection of eye-popping landscapes and jaw-dropping tourist sites, no wonder it has been given such a reputable name.
This country boasts a beautiful scenery, a unique culture, and a tourist-friendly atmosphere. It opens it arms to all who want to come explore the land.
Here are 20 cool things I bet you didn’t know about this unbelievable place:
- The nickname for a New Zealander is a Kiwi
- The population of New Zealand is a little over 4.5 million — that is LESS than Toronto’s GTA which is rising upwards from 6 million as we speak!
- Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu is the name of a hill in Hawkes Bay, New Zealand.
- New Zealand is a colony of the British Empire
- Expecting to come across some scary creepy crawlers during your adventures down South? Well don’t worry too much, there are absolutely NO land snakes in New Zealand.
- New Zealand was the first country in the world to award women with voting rights
- A Kiwi is not a fruit in New Zealand, it is actually a bird!
- What we in North America refer to as a kiwi (the fruit), is known in New Zealand as a Chinese Gooseberry.
- New Zealanders drive on the left-hand side of the road.
- New Zealand’s 90 mile beach is actually only 90 kilometres long.
- Want to truly immerse yourself in the kiwi culture? Attend a Rugby game, you won’t regret it.
- The indigenous polynesian people of New Zealand are called Maori
- New Zealand is home to a rare species of Frog which does not pass through the tadpole stage. Whhhat? Thats right. Read more about this unreal phenomenon here.
- Pack your Gravol and get ready for some boating. Literally ⅓ of Auckland house-owners are also boat owners.
- Giant snails populate New Zealand’s South Island. How giant is giant? Take a look for yourself.
- New Zealand is home to the World’s steepest street: Baldwin Street in Dunedin, New Zealand.
- No part of New Zealand is further than 128 km from the ocean.
- New Zealand comes in second, next to the US, for the top number of McDonald’s locations per headcount
- New Zealand has ONLY ONE Natural Indigenous land mammal: The Bat. Any other land mammals were brought to colony by humans.
- Sheep are just about everywhere! There are more than 40 million sheep in New Zealand