Empowering Students Through Travel Since 2006.
Activities & Attractions
Evolve Tours believes strongly in incorporating meaningful service work into our group tours. Service projects like the once described below can be incredibly valuable for communities they take place in, creating lasting and real positive change for years to come. Students participating in the project will also benefit from the experience.
Project: Participate in a community service at a local school.
Purpose: To aid in supporting a school near the town of Quepos. Many schools do not receive adequate funding in Costa Rica. The group will participate in a variety of community service and engagement activities to support the school. In doing so, students will take a personal role in improving the learning conditions in a facility that has become low-standard and dilapidated. This will be achieved through both cultural immersion with the students, as well as light physical labour that is needed to improve the building and facilities.
Beneficiaries: Students and staff at a local school, and their community.
Student Contributions: Specific contributions will depend on the current and pressing needs of the school at the time of the visit. Sample projects may include:
- Interacting with students and staff in Spanish/English
- Constructing or repairing a hydroponic garden that is used to feed many of the local students
- Landscaping, planting local trees and plants
- Repairing student desks and chairs
- Building benches
- Building an outdoor shelter
- Painting classrooms
- Participating in a debrief session/ closing ceremony with members of the tour group as well as the local community, to reflect on the project’s success.
- Pre-cut Wood, Nails, Hammers, Measuring Tape, Work Gloves
- Trees, bushes, soil, shovels, hand shovels
- Paint, Brushes, Water, Buckets
- Evolve Tours Staff – support students during the activity
- Local community contact – Mauricio– will direct the activity and will help direct the building and project overall.
- Hike to see Mountain views, primary and secondary forests, river, waterfalls, swimming holes, wildlife, and two stream crossings
- Paddle down a Rainforest River in White Water Rafts
- Participate in a surf lesson with professional instructors
- Participate in a Zip Line Activity
- Tree planting in the Rainforest
- Play soccer with local kids
- Learn how to cook Costa Rican meals in a responsible way by using a methane biogester, rocket stove, cob oven and solar cookers
- Work with goats, hens, ducks and fish, learn about animal husbandry
- Work on a Soccer Field and Trail Maintenance Project
- Visit a traditional market in Costa Rica
- Learn How to Salsa dance
- Learn basic Spanish
- Hotels: Triple accommodation for students
- Eco Lodge: Mix of dorm and Cabin style accommodation
- Night 1: Hotel in San Jose
- Nights 2, 3, 4: Eco Lodge Accommodations
- Nights 5, 6: Hotel on the Pacific Coast
- Night 7: Hotel in San Jose
- All meals are included while in Costa Rica
- Students will have opportunities to buy extra snacks or meals on their own
- Return coach airfare from Toronto Pearson International Airport to San Jose, Costa Rica
- Private Coach Transportation
- 1 Evolve Tours Director + Local Staff
Package Price is based on
- Prices subject to availability and change until contract signed
- Prices may be subject to fuel surcharges and baggage fees
- Departure tax from Costa Rica is not included – $29.00 USD pp – payable in person
- Total Package price may vary if number of paying customers changes
- Tips for drivers and guides are appreciated
- Optional travel insurance: medical, baggage, cancellation and trip interruption coverage available
March 6, 2020
Costa Rica Bound - Pura Vida!
|2:20 PM||Meet at Toronto Pearson International Airport.|
|5:20 PM||Flight departs from Toronto to San Jose, Costa Rica.|
|9:30 PM||Arrive at Juan Santamaría International Airport in San Jose, Costa Rica.|
|In the evening we will eat a delicious dinner after a long day of travel and get some rest in our hotel in San Jose.|
March 7, 2020
Depart early this morning on our private bus transfer to a small village near Zapaton, which is located 2.5 hours from San Jose. The town of has a population of 150 people, who live from the land and promote real Eco Tourism. Upon arrival we will unpack our gear and have a group discussion with some of the community leaders on what we will be working on over the next few days. All the meals that we will consume at the Ranch are cultivated from the land. The only item that is brought into the Ranch is packaged pasta, everything else, including drinks, vegetables, cheeses, breads etc is all grown, cooked, or prepared right on the property. Students will take an active role during meal time throughout the trip.
In the morning we will participate in a Ranch Tour and Orientation. Following this activity we will break into groups for the remainder of the day. Half the group will participate in the Sustainable Food Preparation Activity at the Ranch: learning how to cook Costa Rican meals in a responsible way by using a methane Biogester, rocket stove, cob oven and solar cookers. In so doing, they will be able to assist in preparing the day’s lunch. The other half of the group, will participate in a Natural Building Workshop, designing and building structures to minimize the impact on our environment and maximize their sustainability. Using the stones and rocks, straw/natural grasses, bamboo and even manure, students will learn techniques such as Cob Building- which utilizes clay, sand and straw or other fibers- and Wattle and Daub- which uses woven woods or bamboo to construct a structure at the Ranch as an alternative to using concrete, which is ubiquitous across Costa Rica. In the late afternoon we have a chance to swim in the on-site Waterfall. In the evening we will gather for dinner followed by evening activities at the Ranch (journaling, games, discussion).
March 8, 2020
Eco Lodge Community Service
In a group rotation we will participate in a service project at the Ranch. We will start bright and early working a revitalization of the soccer field with maintenance and cleanup. The soccer field in the town is a community center piece (like it is throughout the country) our enhancement of it will bring joy not only the community as whole, but specifically the children in the community.
Enjoy dinner at the ranch.
March 9, 2020
Eco Lodge Last Day
On this morning we will participate in a hike through the primary and secondary forests, for mountain views and to see the wildlife. We will have a chance to hop into one of the many rainforest rivers for a quick swim in one of the pristine waterfalls or swimming holes. In the afternoon we will work with goats, hens, ducks and fish on animal husbandry, which focuses on the care and breeding of domestic animals. In the afternoon students will participate in a tree planting or agroforestry project. This afternoon, students will also take an active role in preparing our last night’s dinner and breakfast.
March 10, 2020
Rafting the Savegre River
|9:30 AM||Today we will wake up early and head out on a full day white water rafting adventure on the Savegre River! The Savegre is one of the best rivers for rafting in the world. Before we begin, paddling, safety and other on-river skills and instructions will be taught. We will need to work as a team to maneuver rapids. We’ll take a side hike to layered waterfalls and discover which one makes the best shower!|
|Tonight we will stay in a the town on the Pacific Ocean, which is famous for its surf breaks. This town is quaint and still under the radar from large hotels and the bulk of tourists.|
March 11, 2020
Surf Lesson + Salsa Lesson
|9:00 AM||Surfs up! Today is the day you learn how to surf or for those who already know how, get better at surfing. Our professional surf instructors will give us a full inland lesson on safety and proper technique so that we can have the best possible session!|
|2:00 PM||In the afternoon we will have a chance to do some zip lining. Pass overtop the forest canopy on a zip line course that involves several lines.|
|We will have time to purchase Costa Rican crafts and gifts for friends and family back home. Afterwards, we will return to our hotel to eat dinner. On a clear day we will see one of the most unbelievable sunsets.|
|8:00 PM||In the late evening we will participate in some salsa lessons.|
March 12, 2020
Service Living Project
After breakfast we will gear up and head out for a full day of service living.
We will participate in a community service project at the Centro de Educación y Nutrición Jaco (CENCINAI). This centre provides children from low income families in the Jaco community with quality education, day care and nutrition. They are taught school curriculum classes as well as the importance of healthy eating, recycling and community involvement. The goal is to foster an environment that offers them the same type of opportunities as other more fortunate children.
Students will split into 3 groups and rotate every 90 minutes to take part in the following activities:
Mural restoration: Cleaning and painting
Repairing classroom desks: sanding and varnishing student desks. Every part of this project will be closely supervised, to ensure that each person is not only being safe but also building something that will last for a long time.
Hydroponic gardening: Planting tomato, cilantro and lettuce plants in a hydroponic vegetable garden that is used to feed many of the local students. These gardens will ensure that students have healthy meals, and will also work as a place where parents can learn about planting hydroponic gardens in their own houses.
Assisting teachers: interact with the local students along with the assistant teachers of the classrooms by teaching English, playing games and partaking in cultural exchange.
CECINAI – Jacó, Puntarenas Province, Costa Rica
Afterwards, we will travel to San Jose to eat dinner and enjoy the sunset on our final night in Costa Rica.
March 13, 2020
Travel to Toronto
|Morning||Depart the hotel towards the airport.|
|6:20 AM||Arrive at Juan Santamaría International Airport in San Jose.|
|9:20 AM||Flight departs from San Jose to Toronto.|
|3:30 PM||Arrival at Toronto Pearson International Airport, after an incredible tour to Costa Rica together.|